435 Lesson 6 - Advocacy

    







    This lesson focused on identifying environmental and community problems, understanding cause and effect, and creating solutions through collaboration. The lesson began with an icebreaker to build engagement and participation. Students were then introduced to key vocabulary, including advocacy, environment, pollution, social justice, and eco-friendly, using visuals, anchor charts, modeling, and discussion. Collaboration was built through partner talk, shared analysis, guided practice, and gradual release. Afterward, students worked with peers to brainstorm ideas and designed inventions to help keep Hawaiʻi clean. Students also explored advocacy and civic action through discussion and reflection. All students actively participated and remained engaged throughout the lesson. 

             

    Students analyzed historical artifacts from the Library of Congress using the “I See, I Think, I Wonder” strategy to identify, describe, and discuss how people positively contributed to their communities. 

                                                        

     Students then completed a cause-and-effect chart and participated in activities focused on identifying problems and their impacts, including a sorting activity on cause, effect, and solution.

                                                        

    Students also enjoyed the true-or-false brain break and the sorting activity, particularly because each student had their own set of cards, which increased engagement. 

                  

Students were highly engaged during the invention activity, where they created and illustrated solutions to help keep Hawaiʻi clean. Many included detailed labels, color, and thoughtful designs. 

                

    Most students also attempted the bio poem activity, though it was shortened due to time. Instructional supports such as visuals, sentence starters, modeling, and partner work helped maintain engagement and accessibility. At the end, the students got to take home their folders, which they were excited about.

    One area of weakness was pacing and time management. Because students were highly engaged in earlier activities, some later components had to be shortened or removed, including the bio poem extension and civic action role-play.

    Another challenge was the reliance on technology for the final assessment. We were kicked off Wi-Fi, which prevented students from completing the Blooket post-assessment, and announcements during the disruption further disrupted focus and flow.

    Students met the objective of identifying problems and their impacts by successfully completing the cause-and-effect chart and sorting activities. They also met the objective of creating solutions by brainstorming and designing inventions to address environmental issues in Hawaiʻi. Students met the objective of analyzing historical artifacts using the “I See, I Think, I Wonder” strategy and class discussion. However, the objective related to civic action role-play was not fully met due to time constraints.

    This lesson reinforced the importance of active engagement, collaboration, and culturally relevant instruction. Students responded best when they were able to discuss ideas, work with peers, and create meaningful, hands-on products connected to real-world issues. I learned that structured scaffolds such as visuals, sentence starters, and consistent routines significantly support student understanding and participation. I also learned the importance of flexibility when unexpected challenges arise, particularly with pacing and technology.

    This experience will shape my professional identity by reinforcing my commitment to inclusive, engaging, and culturally responsive teaching. I will continue using multiple modes of instruction, including visuals, movement, discussion, and hands-on learning, while maintaining consistent formative assessment to monitor student understanding throughout lessons.

                                                    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

324 Lesson 1

324 Lesson 6

324 Lesson 2