Class Dismissed and The Academic and Social Value of Ethnic Studies

    

    The film "Class Dismissed" and research "The Academic and Social Value of Ethnic Studies" highlights the critical importance of incorporating ethnic studies into education to enhance the students engagement and success. The video talks about the relatively recent shift toward formal schooling. This idea was originally from the industrialization era to produce disciplined, productive workers. Traditional schooling is criticized for taking away a child's imagination and creatively into a "one thing fits all" situation. I think in todays world we know of all the different types of learners a student can be and how a student can be Gifted in math, but not reading. I think this school system we have in place can prevent a child from reaching their full potential because it does not cater to how every brain works and instead sticks everyone in school from the ages of 5-18 to complete a factory like learning style. I just feel like the school system has stayed the same and the only adaption it has been given was through state curriculums or standardized tests which does necessarily means it changed for the better. Everything has some sort of adaptation or evolution, but when you look at education I feel as though it has looked the same for a hundred years. I think of the valedictorian of my high school class who also is my neighbor and lifelong friend. He is truly the smartest person I know and has a raw talent for solving math questions- some would say he is Gifted in mathematics and I would have no doubt that is true. We grew up in the same school system for all 13 years of school, he could not and did not want to go to a private school that might have been able to teach him in ways he wanted to be taught. Instead when he or his parents asked to take higher math courses (since he was far beyond what we were learning) the school declined saying there was no way to measure his scores if he went off the curriculum. I just feel like catering to a child's strength or interests while also fostering on working on whatever else they need can be done away from these standardized tests and curriculum based learning. In todays schooling I do not believe these things measures what a child knows because just like my valedictorian; you can know the multiplication tables in kindergarten, but not know how to read. 

     "The Academic and Social Value of Ethnic Studies" talks about why students should learn of all ethnic studies and why it is so important to incorporate it in our classrooms. Students need to be exposed to the rich histories and diverse cultures that make up our world. Exposing students to the rich histories and diverse cultures of the world is essential for their academic and personal growth. Ethnic studies not only engage students by promoting cultural awareness and critical thinking, but also improve their academic performance. By learning about different perspectives and historical narratives, students gain a deeper understanding of the world and their place within it. I remember in elementary school we were taught "Christmas around the world" where we learned about all of the different countries culture and customs revolving around Christmas time. It really opened my eyes and I can still remember most traditions by other countries; learning something like that I think led me to believe that there is more to life than just America. Learning this also can reduce the likelihood of racist behaviors from children growing into adults. It may not erase racism in its entirety, but it does lower the chance of a child having prejudiced beliefs. This idea also gives power to students of color because it gives them a sense of belonging. Ethnic studies should be a required part of the curriculum to create a more inclusive, empathetic, and informed society.

Below is a video I had watched in a different education class that really opened my idea to the school "factory system." Since watching it I feel like I no longer view the way the school system works the same. 

Changing Education Paradigms

Comments

  1. really like your thoughts on "Class Dismissed" and why ethnic studies are important! You make a great point about how traditional schools can kill creativity and not help all kinds of learners. It’s sad to hear about your neighbor not being allowed to take advanced math classes, especially when he was so good at it. I totally agree that schools should change to fit different learning styles instead of making everyone learn the same way. Ethnic studies can really help students understand the world better and promote kindness, which is so needed to reduce prejudice. Your experience with “Christmas around the world” shows how learning about different cultures can open our eyes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your ideas about "Class Dismissed" and the significance of ethnic studies are fantastic! You bring up an excellent issue regarding how conventional schools might stifle creativity and fail to support a variety of learners.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

324 Lesson 1

324 Lesson 6

324 Lesson 2